Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The good, the bad and the ugly...

Here's some good news: tonight I managed to touch up the paint on the baseboards and the quarter rounds in the basement. So as of today the basement flooring project can be considered done. Yay!!! Pictures to come very soon (once we move the furniture back to where it belongs).

Now from the adventure archive... Last week the driver's side headlight fried in the Audi. Which is doubly annoying, because the car has some kind of detection mechanism to diagnose it, and beeps loudly whenever you start it. It's not easy to access the headlight, so it wasn't something we were going to change ourselves. Luckily our mechanics are great and told us to drop by anytime to get it fixed. But I had been too busy to actually go there during the week. Then last Thursday, I was driving back home from my volleyball game downtown, at around 10pm, just so eager to get home, minding my own business. Some guy in an old beat up car with a makeshift back seat window made out of duck tape pulls out across the street, driving slightly erratically. As I am thinking "where are the cops when you need them?", I notice a police car on the side of the road. The cop pulls out, and starts to drive behind me. He follows me for a few blocks, and then puts on his lights... So I pull over trying to get out of his way, and he proceeds to pull over behind me. I could not believe it! I've never, ever been pulled over by the police, so I was very shocked. The cop comes over to let me know that I have a headlight out. I told him that the car lets me know about it :) He says he has to give me a "72 hour", which is basically a ticket that you can get cancelled if you show up at the police station showing that whatever problem has been fixed. And then he asks me for the papers. I found my driver's license, but couldn't find anything else (except for some expired papers). So I got another "72 hour", which was really lucky. Of course by the time I got home, DH showed me all the appropriate papers in the car (where I had looked, though I guess I was a little too nervous). Anyway, I got both tickets cancelled the next day (after a quick trip to the mechanics'), but it was still quite an adventure...

And in the not so fun news, one of my good friends at work decided to quit last week, to pursue a graduate degree. It's really good for her, and I am happy she's pursuing her dreams, but it will be kind of sad without her around. We've been having lunch together every day at work for years now, so it will be a big difference...

And just hot off the presses (DH just talked to his sister), FIL had a few other MRIs, and went through an epilepsy clinic, and they're now pretty much convinced it's a tumor. I guess in a way it's good news, because there's a diagnosis, but it's also very scary... We'll keep you posted!

Good night!

No comments: