Saturday, February 03, 2007

Welcome to February

And so it is February. Winterlude, Ottawa's yearly winter festival has started. The canal is filled with people on skates, taking advantage of the mild-ish weather. DH went skating earlier this week, but I haven't had the chance yet. Instead, today we went to the National Gallery, to see a traditional Haida dance performance. A friend from the McGill alumni choir had invited us, and it was definitely worth the visit. Both DH and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I'd never had a chance to see anything like this in person, and I found it very captivating. I was expecting to be entertained, but came out spiritually rejuvenated. I'd certainly recommend it. Although it seems like this is a fairly rare event, so unless you live on the west coast of BC you may not often get the chance to see something like this. I certainly gained a better appreciation for the Haida carvings. Seen in a museum, they may be interesting, but when worn in a dance, they take on a life of their own, and seem to communicate a lot more. Or at least that's been my experience... So I am very thankful to my friend for letting us know this was happening (it didn't seem to be a very publicised event).

Tomorrow we're going to a friends' house for a Superbowl party. I am attempting to make a football shaped cake - hope it comes out ok :O

Later,

No comments: