Sunday, July 05, 2009

Culinary corner

So, despite being busy as all get out, this week I had a few inspiring moments in the kitchen. Which makes me pretty happy. I like spending time in the kitchen, but I don't like having to spend time in the kitchen if I am not feeling like it. Some weeks it's easier than others...

First off there was the bacon wrapped asparagus, for the BBQ at a friends' place, inspired by the comments from other friends saying "why do we even need any veggies, our vegan friend cannot make it this time!". I have to say, despite my original reservations, the bacon wrapped asparagus was quite popular. The combination of flavours and textures was quite interesting. And it was very easy to make (wrap, fry, done!).

Then there was the last minute frittata I made for Friday's lunch. DH was originally supposed to have the day off, so my plan was going out for lunch with him ;) But plans changed at the last minute, so I had to improvise a lunch for us to take to work (we generally eat bigger, warm lunches and smaller suppers). I just threw together 4 eggs, a bunch of milk, a cup and a half of flour, 3 handfuls of spinach (leftovers), a handful or so of mushrooms, poured it into a pan that I had buttered and put some shredded cheese on the bottom. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, and I have to say the result was yum. Mostly I think thanks to the freshness of the spinach, that gave the whole thing a juicy and fresh texture, but even DH enjoyed it (and he usually dislikes spinach and mushrooms).

Then on the weekend I made some yummy gazpacho (fresh veggies at the Farmer's Market). A nice way to round out the week :)

No comments: